With world-class art and breathtaking sea views you’ll never be short of inspiration at Turner Contemporary.
Entry to the gallery is free. Book a visit to support teaching across the curriculum and learning outside of the classroom. We offer a range of options for all schools, families and community groups of all ages.
Educational Group Bookings
We look forward to welcoming you to the gallery. Prior to making a bookings enquiry, please note:
- Groups entering the gallery should be kept to a maximum of 33 (plus accompanying adults). In the exhibition space we ask that your group is no larger than 15 (plus accompanying adults) when navigating the gallery.
- We are still maintaining safety measures to protect visitors and staff from Covid-19, please download our Visit Guide for full details.
- We are unable to provide a designated lunch space, however you are able to eat in areas outside of the main exhibition spaces if there is availability. Please let us know if you are planning to have lunch on-site when filling out the visit enquiry form in the additional information box.
- If your booking is unable to proceed due to Covid-19 restrictions, we’ll inform you with as much notice as possible.
- Please ensure you have received a booking confirmation in advance of your visit. Submitting the visit enquiry form below is not a confirmation of booking, and the learning team will respond to your enquiry as soon as they can to arrange and confirm your visit.
Tours & Workshops
- 20 minute introduction
- Suitable for KS1 and up, and Language Schools
- £25 + VAT for a group of up to 33 students and their accompanying adults
Turner Contemporary is located on the site where J.M.W Turner, one of the most famous artists in the world, came to create. Hear from gallery staff to uncover his story and find out more about the gallery, cultural regeneration, and the current exhibition on display.
- 45 minute tour
- Best for KS3 and up. Suitable for KS1 and up, and Language Schools
- £3.50 per head + VAT, minimum of 10 per group (or minimum cost of £35 + VAT)
A gallery tour but not as you know it! Your group will be guided through our current exhibition and encouraged to think critically, spark their curiosity and develop their creative skills.
- 45 minute session
- Suitable for EYFS, Reception, Key Stage 1, and younger SEND groups.
- £3.50 per head + VAT, minimum of 10 per group (or minimum cost £35 + VAT)
- 90 minute session
- Suitable for Key Stage 1 and up
- £6.50 per head + VAT, minimum of 10 per group (or minimum cost £65 + VAT)
Get creative inspired by world-class art. A fast paced hands on session that explores key pieces in the galleries followed by a making activity.
Make wallpaper stamps and cyanotypes inspired by Ingrid Pollard’s exhibition to take away with you.
Turner and the Elements Outdoor Tour
- 60 minute session
- Suitable for Primary (ages 5-11 years)
- £4.50 + VAT per pupil
Adventure outside of the gallery to experience Margate and the elements through the eyes of landscape painter JMW Turner. During this interactive tour, pupils will learn about their local heritage and make their own watercolour paintings to take back to school, inspired by the dramatic surrounding scenery.
This tour is designed to run in all weather conditions. Teachers are asked to ensure that pupils are appropriately dressed for the weather. In extreme weather conditions the tour will be modified to run inside the gallery with shorter elements of outside painting.
Explore our vibrant changing exhibitions programme with your group for free, supported by our exhibition resources.
Please let us know you are coming in advance to your visit so we can ensure you have the best possible experience.
We hold public liability insurance to the value of £10,000,000.
Arts Award & Artsmark
Turner Contemporary is a perfect resource for young people doing their Arts Award and Schools achieving Artsmark status. With our variety of tours, workshops and exhibitions, get in touch with the learning team to see how we can support you.