Our Commitment to Equity, Diversity and Inclusion
In June 2020, we put out a statement about Black Lives Matter.
Going forward, we are working to ensure that we embed Equity, Diversity and Inclusion including anti-racist thinking across all areas of our work.
We are reviewing our actions on a regular basis and are committed to ongoing learning and meaningful actions to create change.
Since releasing the statement in June 2020, we have delivered:
- Inclusive Leadership Training for line managers and trustees in August 2020. We remain committed to ongoing training in this area for all staff and this will now link into the appraisal process
- Changes have been made to our recruitment process including how we promote roles, and the shortlisting process
- In summer 2020, we worked in collaboration with People Dem Collective to host the Margate to Minneapolis exhibition
- We took positive action when advertising our Digital Commissions and created an Open Call process targeting specific minority groups.
- We have created a new Social Media Code of conduct. This code of conduct aims to mirror our zero-tolerance approach to racism and other forms of abuse in the galleries. You can find more information here
- Equity, Inclusion and Diversity are a standing item on Board agendas and are being reviewed by the Strategic Leadership Team (SLT) on a monthly basis
In addition, we have added a new value, that of Belonging to underpin our vision and mission:
Belonging – equity, equality, diversity and inclusion are essential to our ethos now and in the future
As part of our appraisal process, we are asking staff and managers to review their development and performance against the value of ‘Belonging’. This will be an opportunity for individuals to identify actions that they can take in their role to further our collective work on Equity, Diversity and Inclusion. We are committed to supporting individual training needs in this area.
This work is ongoing and our next steps include:
- Regular meetings of Turner Contemporary’s Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Steering Group. We are committed to listening to wider perspectives from our communities and the EDI Steering Group will play a central role in this
- The EDI Steering Group will review our EDI action plan and develop a framework to monitor progress
- SLT and the Board are committed to reviewing our organisational policies to ensure they reflect our commitment to equality, diversity, inclusion and anti-racism. We will consult with colleagues, experts and partners on this work
- We are continuing to review our staff recruitment processes to ensure that our practices reflect our commitment to improving diversity within our workforce and the sector as a whole
We want to ensure that we listen and learn from diverse voices and perspectives both within and outside the organisation. Driving change is an ongoing process, with priorities and detailed actions being kept under review to ensure that we are making a genuine difference.
If you would like to be involved or suggest areas for improvement, email: firstname.lastname@example.org.