Call out for Submissions to the Turner Contemporary Open 2021
Turner Contemporary will be ten years old in 2021. During the pandemic the arts and creativity have played a vital, and perhaps more visible, role in many of our lives. Back in 2010, we hosted an Open exhibition in a temporary space on Margate High Street that celebrated the creativity of the artistic community across Kent. To mark our 10th anniversary year, we want to hear from practicing artists living and working in Kent & Medway or those working nationally and internationally who studied in Kent & Medway.
You are invited to submit work for an open exhibition which will span all four of Turner Contemporary’s galleries. Submissions are open and will now close on 14 February 2021. Works will be selected by the end of March 2021 and the exhibition will open in summer 2021 and last for six months.
Our aim is to celebrate and showcase the wealth of artistic talent living, working or trained in Kent; to include artists at all stages of their careers; to develop relationships with artists in or from Kent and to increase awareness of artists working in Kent amongst audiences outside the county. We want this exhibition to champion the ideas and creativity of artists living and working in Kent.
This call is open to artists of all ages living and making work in Kent and those working and exhibiting nationally and internationally who studied in Kent.
The Selection Process
Building on the gallery’s longstanding experience of working with the community to create exhibitions and inform its programme, the process will see community groups curate and select the exhibition. These selectors are; Age UK Thanet; Canvas 4 Equality; Margate Pride; Turner Contemporary’s Access Group. Each of the groups will take over one of the four main gallery spaces and work closely with Turner Contemporary’s programming team to bring the exhibition to life. You can find out more here.
Submit your entry today!
Submissions are now open and will close on 14 February 2021.
We are working in collaboration with Zealous, a submissions platform, to host this open call. The submission process will take you to their website.
If you have questions or would like to find out more, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Terms and Conditions
- Selected artists must live and/or work in Kent or have studied in Kent.
- Applications are accepted from artists working in any medium including, for example, painting, sculpture, moving image, photography, drawing, performances or installation.
- Work submitted must have been made in the last 2 years.
- Selected artists are asked to supply works ready framed (in the case of 2D works that are to be displayed in frames).
- The size of the work must not exceed 240 x 280cm.
- Artists working with a pseudonym or collaboratively as part of collectives are eligible to apply, as long as they fulfil the above criteria.
- The exhibition is open to all artists or collectives aged 3+.
- Applications for the Turner Contemporary Open 2021 opened on Monday 7 December. The closing date for submissions has been extended and they will now close at midnight on 14 February 2021. Any applications made after this date cannot be considered.
- We want to ensure that as many artists as possible can submit their work and so there will be no submission fee. Turner Contemporary is a charity. If you would like to make a donation to support our work, you can do so here.