With world-class art and breath taking sea views you’ll never be short of inspiration at Turner Contemporary.
Entry to the gallery is free. Book a visit to support teaching across the curriculum and learning outside of the classroom. We offer a range of options for schools, language schools, colleges and all other school age groups to encourage new ways of seeing, thinking and learning.
You can find our learning resource connected with our current exhibitions, The Tourists: Ellen Harvey and JMW Turner, and Ashes by Steve McQueen, here.
School bookings 2021/22
We are now taking school visit bookings. We look forward to welcoming you and your students back to the gallery! Prior to making an enquiry, please note:
- School bookings can be made until the 26 September, and from the 23 October. The gallery will be completely closed between 27 Sept and 22 Oct 2021 for the changeover of exhibitions
- We can only accommodate self-led visits until September 26th.
- Groups entering the gallery should be kept to a maximum of 33 students (plus teachers). We ask that in the galleries, schools are split into smaller groups of no more than 15 when navigating the gallery.
- We cannot provide lunch spaces at this time.
- If your booking is unable to proceed due to Covid-19 restrictions, we’ll inform you with as much notice as possible.
- Please ensure you have received a booking confirmation in advance of your visit. Submitting the enquiry form below is not a confirmation of booking, and the learning team will respond to your enquiry as soon as they can to arrange and confirm your visit.
- 20 minute Introduction
- Suitable for KS1 and up, and Language Schools
- £25 + VAT for a group of up to 33 students and their accompanying adults
Turner Contemporary is located on the site where J.M.W Turner, one of the most famous artists in the world, came to create. Hear from gallery staff to uncover his story and find out more about the gallery, cultural regeneration, and the current exhibition on display.
Tours & Workshops
All activities are led by our Engagement Assistants who are trained in Philosophy for Children and are experts in engaging groups with the exhibitions.
Tours and workshops are suitable for up to 33 students per class.
- 60 minute tour
- Best for KS3 and up. Suitable for KS1 and up, and Language Schools
- £3.50 per head + VAT, minimum of 10 per group (or minimum cost of £35 + VAT)
A gallery tour but not as you know it! Our navigators skilfully guide you through the exhibitions, encouraging creative questioning as they go along.
Outdoor Tour: Turner and the Elements
- 60 minute tour
- Suitable for Key Stage 1 and 2
- £4 per head + VAT, minimum of 10 per group (or minimum cost of £40 + VAT)
Adventure outside of the gallery to experience Margate and the elements through the eyes of landscape painter J.M.W. Turner. During this interactive tour, pupils will learn about their local heritage and make their own watercolour paintings to take back to school, inspired by the dramatic surrounding scenery.
This tour is designed to run in all weather conditions. Please ensure pupils are appropriately dressed for the weather. In extreme weather conditions the tour will be modified to run inside the gallery.
- 60 minute session
- Suitable for EYFS, Reception, Key Stage 1, and younger SEND groups.
- £3.50 per head + VAT, minimum of 10 per group (or minimum cost £35 + VAT)
Use tactile materials to make a collaborative response to the art around you in this sensory workshop.
- 90 minute session
- Suitable for Key Stage 1 and up
- £6.50 per head + VAT, minimum of 10 per group (or minimum cost £65 + VAT)
Get creative inspired by world-class art. A fast paced hands on session that explores key pieces in the galleries followed by a making activity.
Explore our vibrant changing exhibitions programme with your group for free, supported by our exhibition resources.
Please let us know you are coming in advance to your visit so we can ensure you have the best possible experience.
Arts Award & Artsmark
We can support children and young people achieve their Arts Award at different levels through tours, workshops and our work experience offer.
Embarking on your Artsmark journey? Work with us to help embed arts and culture across the curriculum. Get in touch with the learning team to discuss how.